RAKMC has a primary responsibility to facilitate the safety of navigation throughout the Port. To this end RAKMC will:
- Maintain an effective Navigational Safety Management System based on a continuing, formalised assessment and mitigation of risk.
- Review regularly the effectiveness of, and if necessary seek amendments to, its legal powers, Byelaws and Directions in respect of navigational safety.
- Monitor and manage vessel traffic within the Port limits through the provision of a Port Control and Information Service.
- Provide an appropriate level of pilotage services.
- Make and publish hydrographic surveys.
- Undertake maintenance dredging as appropriate.
- Remove sunken vessels and other obstructions that are, or may become, an impediment to safe navigation.
- Ensure the provision of necessary aids to navigation within port limits.
- Promulgate effectively navigational, tidal and other relevant information to all port users.
- Provide effective management and co-ordination in respect of Saqr Port’s response to emergency incidents within its area of jurisdiction.
- Consult widely with port users and other relevant stakeholders in respect of navigational safety issues and proposed changes to navigational arrangements.
- Ensure, through risk assessment that the licensing of works takes due regard of the safety of navigation.